Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Prep week

We had our first curriculum setting meeting today. The big issue at hand was whether to increase the relative weight of tests as part of a student's overall grade. I enjoyed it! Lots of good discussion on all sides of the issue, the teachers in the room were all obviously invested in making the right decision. One thing I especially enjoyed was that, when asked a question, the AP leading the discussion immediately reframed the issue and put the onis back on the teachers instead of letting the questioner put all responsibility for success onto the students. The professionalism of the other teachers and administrators here has been impressive so far.

I also accompanied a married couple to a local non-profit called "A Gift for Teachers", which is an agency that, in a very controlled way, distributes free school supplies to local teachers! How cool is that?! You just walk in the door, show them your badge, and they give you a checklist of supplies that you're allowed to pick up. And you can go back every month for refills! I was amazed. I think most teachers are here out of at least some sense of community service, and it's great to feel support from the community you're trying to serve. Honestly, I was really touched.

Now I'm off to (hopefully!) my first Tae Kwon Do lesson in Orlando. Molly's parents are in town and they want to watch us beat each other senseless. Yay!

No comments: